Collard Greens with Tomatoes


I have always been skeptical about using greens that I am not familiar with. But, I was getting bored with the same-old same-old recipes, I thought what if i used the same-old recipe but a new ingredient. And that is how I landed up with collard greens. Interestingly, I think i have taken a liking to it. So it will be on my shopping list more frequently. The collard greens with tomatoes was the first recipe I tried. YumYum Yum! Acchu and Ameya ate it up too.


Just in case you want to try it out, here is the recipe.


Fresh Collard Greens cleaned and Chopped - 3 Cups
Tomatoes Diced - 2 Cups
Green Chillies Chopped - 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Tamarind - 1 tsp
Turmeric - 1 tsp
Aseafoetida - 1/2 tsp
Dry Red Chillies - 3
Oil - 1 Tbsp
Salt to taste

Heat medium size saucepan. To it add the oil and the mustard seeds. Once the mustard start to splutter add the green chillies, red chillies and the aseafoetida. Saute for about a minute. Add the tomatoes and cook until tender. Then add the collar greens, tamarind, turmeric and salt. Close with a lid and cook until the collard greens are mushy and tender. Serve with Rice or Roti.

Comments