Date Cake

Ok Here is the story. This is not my recipe! Its Ayi's Date Cake. But its is one of the best cakes (no Butter Recipe!!!). It reminds me of plum cake we used to get during christmas in Kerala. Ameya tried it first during christmas. So he calls it Santa-cake. And he loves it. Asks for multiple servings.

I think next time I will try it with plums (dried ones) and a little bit of rum. Hmmmm!!

Ingredients:

18 dates(Khajoor)

3/4 cup milk

3/4 cup sugar

1 cup all purpose flour or maida

1/2 cup oil

1 tea spn baking soda

1 tbl spn cashews, walnuts(optional)

PS: If you use ‘baking powder’ instead of ‘baking soda’, cake becomes a bit harder.

Method:

Soak the dates in warm milk overnight (I usually don’t soak the dates since I use the seedless dates, I just heat milk and dates for few minutes or microwave them so that dates becomes soft and help in grinding). Remove the seeds. Add sugar and grind them to a smooth paste along with the milk in which it is soaked in. Add oil and mix.

Sieve together flour and baking soda. Add the flour one table spoon at a time and mix slowly. Add the nuts and mix.

Preheat the oven at 350F. Bake the cake in a greased oven proof dish for 35-40min (or till a knife inserted in the cake comes out clean).

Comments

Post a Comment